Volunteer in Nepal
Volunteer in Nepal is known as Volunteer service in Nepal extra tourism activities. Nepal volunteer service can do in side the Kathmandu valley, Himalayan zone or rural areas of Nepal. Nepal has various options for volunteering in Nepal such as teaching in school, volunteer working in Nepal hospital, Volunteer in Nepal community maintenance program, Volunteer in Nepal with cultural exchange program & Volunteer service in Nepal orphanage home. We Himalaya Journey Treks & Expedition arrange all type of volunteer service in Nepal. Himalaya Journey Trekking offer currently has volunteer opportunities available through our partner organization in the beautiful Kingdom of Nepal. Volunteers have the opportunity to participate in a variety of educational and community aid programs. This will give you a chance to make an important contribution to the people of Nepal and while doing so gain an in depth experience of the country and its culture, that will stay with you the rest of your life. We Himalaya Journey Trekking arrange any volunteer in Nepal according to volunteers wish and holiday schedule.
The system of teaching is different in Nepal. Volunteers do not need to use the same method; but there will be times when you need to follow the school curriculum – for example - to prepare the students for exams. They will be encouraged to use their own
teaching methodologies. Volunteers will stay with a Nepali family near the school. Volunteers will teach for anywhere between 2 to 6 hours each day for six days a week (Saturday is the day off). This will vary from school to school. You can be involved in
teaching in youth clubs or a women's group for informal education for 1 to 2 hours a day. The age range of the students will vary, but generally fall between 10 to 14 years of age and have basic level of English. Volunteers for this program are encouraged to work with local teachers to develop new teaching practices and help with their personal conversational English to enable them to teach English in the future.
Working in an Orphanage
Volunteers will be placed in an orphanage where they will assist the children in their day to day routine (Volunteers still live with a host family or where available in the actual orphanage). The children are mostly between the ages of four and fifteen, and have a basic understanding of English. The general role of the volunteer will be to act as an older sibling: to care for, look after and encourage the children. Volunteers will teach the children general life skills, including health and sanitation, as well as arts, crafts and music. In some of the orphanages the children do go to school, however you can help the children with their school work in others. Placements are limited in this program.
School and Community Maintenance Program
Volunteers stay in a village with a Nepali Family and help with School and Community Maintenance. You will be involved in painting, building and repairs. During this period volunteers will have the opportunity to participate in local festivals and get the opportunity to exchange their culture.
Home Stay/Cultural Exchange
Volunteers stay in a village with a Nepali Family. The home stay program is a good opportunity for volunteers to learn about the Nepali culture, lifestyle, language, and people. We can arrange home stay programs in most parts of Nepal. During this period volunteers will have the opportunity to participate in local festivals and get the opportunity to exchange their culture. Home stays can only be arranged for two weeks or one month.
In a typical placement volunteers stay in a family where they get Nepali food twice a day (around 9 o' clock in the morning and 7 o' clock in the evening). Tea is served in the morning and in the afternoon. Volunteers will have the opportunity to get together with other volunteers and share their experience. You will be able to travel to nearby towns to purchase things for daily use and could travel to other areas on longer vacation. Besides your project work, volunteers can utilize their spare time in organizing the youth and women's groups of the community to do some worthwhile activities like building a smokeless stove, toilet by using local materials, making a soak pit, kitchen gardening, making a solar dryer, garbage management or paper recycling.
The placements are available in Katmandu Valley and rural areas. The locations of the program placements can vary with regards to a number of issues. Placements are determined upon arrival with considerations of safety of volunteers and availability.
Volunteers for this program must:
*be 18 years or older
*have no major health problems
The volunteer program starts on the 1st of each month. You can volunteer any where from 2 weeks to 5 months. The schools are closed during June and July so the teaching English program is limited during this period. Please note that September-November there are local festivals that can disrupt your program. This is dictated by the lunar calendar. Therefore if you are volunteering for month or less, we do not recommend starting your placement at this time of year. For those volunteering for a longer period of time, the festival does provide a great opportunity to interact with the local culture.
All, applicants will be notified by email as to whether their application has been successful.
(1) Complete the Application Form: Fill out the application form below. Upon receipt of the form we will assess your suitability for the program.
(2) Contact You: If you are successful we will then email you a letter of acceptance.
(3) Decision Point: Once you have read through the letter of acceptance and we have answered any questions or concerns that you might have, it is time to pay your application fee to secure your place on the program. Please note that we will refund your application fee if you decide not to go.
(4) Confirmation: Once the application fee is paid, our volunteer partner will contact you to ensure everything is organized.
We will also send you the link to our program guide which covers topics such as: country information, travel links, visa application process, fundraising ideas and much more!
(5) Communication & Support: Throughout the application process, we are committed to working with you to answer any of your questions or concerns. During your placement we are also available as a form of support to you as a volunteer and will email you while in country to discuss how the program is going.
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1334m), transfer Hotel, Volunteer service in Nepal briefing with officially arrangments. overnight at kathmandu.
Trip Cost: [email protected]
- Airport pick up and transfer to hotel.
- Three night accommodation in Kathmandu on BB basis ( 3 star category hotel) on twin sharing as mentioned in itinerary
- An experienced, helpful and friendly Government license holder Guide.
- All program as mentioned in itinerary
- Overland transportation
- Trekking guide both way flight ticket
- Insurance for Nepalese staff. ( Trekking guide, and porters)
- Guide and porter fares and taxes.Government Tax and office service charge.
- Airport drop
- Lunch & Dinner during Kathmandu stay
- International flight ticket
- Nepal entry visa fee US$ 40 (duration 60 days from date of issue)- you may easily issue the visa upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport - Kathmandu.
- Disembarkation Airport Tax in Nepal - approx. US$ 24. al equipments
- High risk medical insurance
- Entrance fees while sightseeing tour in Kathmandu valley.
- Alcoholic beverage and telephone calls
- Hot drinks, Soft drinks such as cola, mineral water
- Nepal Visa Fee
- Emergency rescue evacuation if needed
- Purely personal nature expenses
- Tipping /Tips(Tipping is Expected).
Please click on thumbnail image to have larger view.
Volunteer in Nepal is known as Volunteer service in Nepal extra tourism activities. Nepal volunteer service can do in side the Kathmandu valley, Himalayan zone or rural areas of Nepal. Nepal has various options for volunteering in Nepal such as teaching in school, volunteer working in Nepal hospital, Volunteer in Nepal community maintenance program, Volunteer in Nepal with cultural exchange program & Volunteer service in Nepal orphanage home